AMD/ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2
I realize that this piece of news has been out for a while, but I still wanted to write about it. If you did not already know, ATI will be soon releasing their newest graphics card: the ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2, which they hope to be of competition to nVidia’s GeForce 8 series.
This new graphics card, codenamed R680, is simply a combination of two RV670 GPUs (two Radeon HD 3870s) on the same PCB. This makes for a gigantic card that will definitely demand much ATX case length and cooling… not to mention power consumption. Do you remember when nVidia released their GeForce 7950GX2?
Do not let Ruby’s eyes fool you. ATI has packed a lot of punch into this card, even allowing it to out-perform exisiting ATI Crossfire configurations! However, it does seem that the nVidia 8800 Ultra remains the overall performance victor, although many review sites will have varying opinions. This may change when better drivers are released for the 3870 X2.
You can check out the initial reviews from the following sites:
- AnandTech.com – ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2: 2 GPUs 1 Card, A Return to the High End
- [H]ard|OCP – AMD’s ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2
- Hexus.net -ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2: Getting back in the game
- HotHardware.com -R680 Has Landed: ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2
- PC Perspective – Asus AMD Radeon HD 3870 X2: AMD R680 Dual GPU Arrives
- Tomshardware.com – ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2: Fastest Yet!