Falcon1986-Online

Home of a med student who likes to manage websites and talk tech!

WordPress 2.5 upgrade troubles

leave a comment »

On another website I manage I use WordPress to manage all of the content. The site had a well-integrated (or so I thought) phpBB 2.0.22 forum using the WP-United plugin. I did not see any point in upgrading to phpBB 3, so when I saw that the phpBB 2.0.23 update was released I decided to just apply it. Anyway, long story short, it ended up messing up the integration; even when I tried running WP-United’s integration wizard. Whatever it did, the result was that it brought down the entire site. Unfortunately, I was too stubborn to back up any files prior to this embarrassing outcome. What I had to end up doing was to completely lock down the forum (disabling it was not sufficient) and turn user logins over to WordPress.

At this point I did not know what to do, but I remembered that the WordPress software had recently been updated to v2.5. Since the site was still running on v2.3.1 I decided to do a complete upgrade later when I had more time and perhaps do away with the phpBB forum. Somehow, I always thought that performing updates with this system of integration would cause trouble at some point, whether I updated WordPress, phpBB or WP-United. Here was my frustrating-yet-rewarding experience…

Anyway, I performed a complete website backup of each file while maintaining directory structure and even backed up individual databases. I then proceeded to delete the phpBB installation with its corresponding database and all of the WordPress 2.3.1 files. (I kept a copy of the wp-config.php file safe so I could gain easy access to it for my fresh installation.) After downloading WordPress 2.5 I proceeded to follow the instructions in the detailed section of the Codex. Since I did not delete the original WordPress database I re-used the wp-config.php information in the new installation. Following FTP transfer of all the files, I proceeded to direct my browser to http://www.mysite.com/wp-admin/install.php, but got a report that the database already existed. Therefore, I just pointed my browser to http://www.mysite.com/wp-admin/ and I was immediately presented with an “Update database” screen. I executed the update process and was able to successfully log in!

All of my registered users and posts were retained and recognized by WordPress 2.5. However, links to images were broken, the handling and organization of which I noticed WordPress changed since 2.3.1. Anyway, that was no big deal; I just started manually correcting the image links. One important thing that kept bothering me was the fact that all hyperlinks looked something like this…

http://www.mysite.com/index.php/example-post/

I went through the Permalinks section of the Codex and tried virtually everything it mentioned, except anything in reference to IIS because I knew my web host’s server was using Apache. I updated the mod_rewrite entry in the .htaccess file as such…

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>

…but WordPress always insisted that I enter the following…

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /index.php
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php/index.php [L]
</IfModule>

You can immediately see the difference. All the options in the Permalinks section of the Settings panel of the dashboard contained /index.php/. I was about to give up when I browsed to the Options section of the Settings panel and noticed the something worth meddling with!

As you can see, the “Blogging Address” had ‘index.php‘ at the end of the URL! I crossed my fingers, deleted the ‘index.php’ portion and applied the setting changes. Voila! It worked! No more ‘index.php’ within my pretty permalinks!

So far, everything seems to be working okay. I’m still in the process of uploading the plugins and updating image links. I will soon have to change the theme from the default Kubrick. All in all, I am glad it worked out. I definitely learned a few things during my frustration. As for forum software, I will try installing bbPress because it appears to have better integration with WordPress.

Advertisements

Written by falcon1986

12 April, 2008 at 9:20 PM

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: